Initially built in
1077, and later enlarged between 1495 and1519, it became
one of the largest fortresses in Europe. Since then the
castle’s exterior has remained substantially the same.
The extension of the castle was commanded by Archbishop
Leonhard von Keutschach, as a response to the Hungarian
Wars. During that time, above the main entrance a lion
holding a beetroot in its paws was added to the castle,
and today this lion remains the Castle's symbol.
Throughout the long
history of Hohensalzburg, the castle was never conquered
and remains one of the few castles with this status in
Hohensalzburg castle houses the Fortress Museum. Also the
medieval prince apartments are well worth a